If excitement of seeing the Amarillo Sox mascot lasts for more than four hours, please consult your physician
Jun 29, 2011, 7:11 PM EST
When it comes to phallic-shaped sports mascots, clearly none can top Beacon of UMass-Boston. But finishing a rather close second is this new mascot for the Amarillo Sox of the Independent American Association, which began play this year. They’re going back to the drawing board with Pointy, however (my name for him), for obvious reasons. His debut — and farewell — occurred on Friday night, June 24.
Things turned sour for (general manager Mark) Lee as the Sox mascot was supposed to look like a sock but looked nothing like Lee had requested. Instead of a soft looking sock-type mascot from nearly head-to-toe, the foot portion of the sock stuck straight out about 2 feet at the waist.
“It was not the way I wanted it,” Lee said. “I’m very disappointed in the lady who did it, and I’ve told her so. She is going to fix it to the changes we want. I want to say on the record, if we offended anybody, I apologize.”
Sox to get new mascots [Amarillo Globe News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found