Jun 28, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Much public consternation was applied after the Boston Bruins’ glorious celebration of their 2011 Stanley Cup championship resulted in their notorious $156,000 bar tab, which defenseman Zdeno Chara now claims was a gross exaggeration. That figure was exacerbated, he said, by a comped $100,000 bottle of Ace of Spades “Midas” champagne that they signed and gave to charity, but still ended up on the receipt. But amongst the carnage, which included 136 Bud Lights, sits something peculiar: A lone order for an Amstel Light. And now the Dutch brewing company wants a name.
Who was the brave Bruin to buck the Bud Light brouhaha and think past the manly excess on his day of reckoning and order up a genteel Amstel Light? Will he swallow his pride and step forward to claim the reward, which includes all of the Amstel Light he can put down on his day with the Cup to go along with an Independence Day barbeque sponsored by Amstel? If the Bruins were smart they’d consider a moment of solidarity and claim the 23 rostered members shared the drink.
Amstel Light says in a press release it will provide free beer during the player’s day with the Stanley Cup and at a Canada Day or Independence Day barbecue if he identifies himself.
“We want to reward the Bruin who ordered the Amstel Light to recognize him for making a great decision,” the company said in Tuesday’s press release.
“We, along with millions on the Web, have followed the team’s methods of celebrations and can clearly see that you’re a bunch of full-flavored guys,” adds the release.
Any leads? Well, according to sources, winger Shawn Thornton said on CSNNE, “I don’t think anyone on our team drinks Amstel Light” but that his top suspect was defenseman Shane Hnidy.
Scouring the depths of the Bruins’ party archives provides nothing, except for the fact that Chara’s a champagne hog.
Other than that, I have no clue. As a Flyers fan, I’ll just go with my gut instinct and do what I always do; blame Tim Thomas. In the meantime, Greg Wyshynski over at Puck Daddy has a list of suspects.
Oh wait, I have a better idea. It was me. Booze me, buckos!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP