Jun 25, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
As our esteemed editor Rick Chandler made note of on Friday, there’s been a surprising revelation for fans of NBC’s long-running sitcom The Office: program stalwart & favorite put-down target of the lovably sociopathic Michael Scott, idle-minded Dunder-Mifflin employee Phyllis was once an NFL cheerleader. Well not the character, but the actress who plays her — who is unimaginatively also named Phyllis (Smith) — was once a paid pom-pom waver for the football Cardinals of St. Louis, before her life took her on a decidedly different career path (and workout plan, but hey, that happens to the best of us).
And now, due to the tried-and-true Internet standard of proof — “pics or it didn’t happen” — we can see at the right that it did in fact happen, along with a deliciously old-school hairstyle and a cheerleading uniform much different than the sartorial skimpiness you’d find on today’s sideline mavens in Dallas or Washington or even sensible St. Louis. Time, once again, makes fools of us all.
No word if other walking punch-lines from the work-place satire (looking at you, Kevin and Stanley) are hiding equally scandalous pasts, but if a picture surfaces of either of them in a cheerleading uniform, you can bet your ass we’ll let you know.
“The Office” Star Phyllis Smith [y98 Radio]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found