Jun 23, 2011, 10:04 AM EST
Women’s tennis was dealt a serious blow in 2009 when Simona Halep decided to undergo breast reduction surgery, as if you don’t recall (before and after photos seen here). There was great wailing and gnashing of teeth among male tennis fans (you pervs), with one dedicated group even circulating an online petition to stop the procedure. But Halep’s drive to become a better player outweighed the prurient drooling of her male admirers, and doctors successfully converted her from a 34DD to a 34C — in much the same fashion as Steve Rogers became Captain America in that new movie. Anyway, the results are evident in the photos here.
Did it work, competition-wise? Halep, 19, has risen 450 spots in the world rankings in two years, and is now at No. 57 as she takes on Serena Williams in the second round of women’s singles at Wimbledon. From the London Daily Mail:
“My ability to react quickly was worse and my breasts made me uncomfortable,” Halep said. “I don’t like them in my everyday life, either. I would have gone for surgery even if I hadn’t been a sportswoman.”
The extra weight on her chest was uncomfortable and caused severe back pain, which affected her performance on the court — so she decided to have breast-reduction surgery.
And the 19-year-old Romanian today continued to reap the rewards of her decision with a comfortable victory against her Serbian opponent, Bojana Jovanovski, 19, winning 6-1 6-2.
Meanwhile, Williams is back after a year off from tennis recovering from a freak foot injury in which she was “on death’s door.” She beat Aravane Rezai of France 6-3 3-6 6-1 in the first round, and afterwards burst into tears.
So who says that women’s tennis isn’t interesting? Certainly not me.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found