Simona Halep’s breast reduction may have given her tennis superpowers

Jun 23, 2011, 10:04 AM EDT

halepbanda

Women’s tennis was dealt a serious blow in 2009 when Simona Halep decided to undergo breast reduction surgery, as if you don’t recall (before and after photos seen here). There was great wailing and gnashing of teeth among male tennis fans (you pervs), with one dedicated group even circulating an online petition to stop the procedure. But Halep’s drive to become a better player outweighed the prurient drooling of her male admirers, and doctors successfully converted her from a 34DD to a 34C — in much the same fashion as Steve Rogers became Captain America in that new movie. Anyway, the results are evident in the photos here.

Did it work, competition-wise? Halep, 19, has risen 450 spots in the world rankings in two years, and is now at No. 57 as she takes on Serena Williams in the second round of women’s singles at Wimbledon. From the London Daily Mail:

“My ability to react quickly was worse and my breasts made me uncomfortable,” Halep said. “I don’t like them in my everyday life, either. I would have gone for surgery even if I hadn’t been a sportswoman.”

The extra weight on her chest was uncomfortable and caused severe back pain, which affected her performance on the court — so she decided to have breast-reduction surgery.

And the 19-year-old Romanian today continued to reap the rewards of her decision with a comfortable victory against her Serbian opponent, Bojana Jovanovski, 19, winning 6-1 6-2.

Meanwhile, Williams is back after a year off from tennis recovering from a freak foot injury in which she was “on death’s door.” She beat Aravane Rezai of France 6-3 3-6 6-1 in the first round, and afterwards burst into tears.

So who says that women’s tennis isn’t interesting? Certainly not me.

***
A comfortable victory: Tennis player who had breast reduction to ease back pain enjoys win in first round at Wimbledon [London Daily Mail]

1. etc4779 - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Terrible news…

2. cleanslaton - Jun 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM

BOOOOOOOOOO!

Simona, in addition to the men that are now less interested in you–there are now hordes of women who are envious & angry at you for throwing away your naturally given gift. I understand that you want men to look you in the eye and respect your tennis talent & personality, but that means your personality was probably lacking in the first place. Work on that before you cut up your body. You’ve thrown away one of the advantages you had over other women in the ‘game’ governed by the rules of attraction, which I believe to be a central subliminal dogma of life. Have the confidence to let your personality shine above your boobs. I know plenty of women that would kill for what you had [and pay thousands to imitate what you had naturally], as well as a few that wish they hadn’t had reduction surgery. What a damn shame.

Women’s tennis needs something to draw viewers in–the game itself isn’t compelling enough.

It’s the cold, hard, sexist truth, sorry.

3. whooodeyyy - Jun 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I was watching the match today and was wondering how big her boobs were before. Now I know, and I am sad.

4. goforthanddie - Jun 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM

She was racktacular :(

5. vikesfansteve - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Sad, sad day that was.

6. vikesfansteve - Jun 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Speaking of Serena Williams. HGH testing in tennis please. Her head has grown to Barry Bonds Raoul Mondesi type proportions.

7. 1historian - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM

WARNING – SEXIST COMMENT!!!!

I like looking at lady tennis players in their outfits because I like looking at ladies and girls and women because I like to.

Vive la difference

breaking news – guys like looking at girls and girls like looking at guys

who knew?

• goforthanddie - Jun 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM

For some reason tennis outfits are much sexier than they should be. Maybe it’s the sweat-shiny skin, the animal grunting…Dammit, it’s happening again!