Jun 23, 2011, 2:45 PM EDT
My Twitter feed was buzzing this morning with reports that O.J. Simpson was getting ready to confess to murdering Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, and the format was going to be a prison interview with the Great and Powerful Oprah. Fox News, NESN, The Daily Mail, and several other news outlets carried the story, all citing the National Enquirer as the source. Funny how no one believed the Enquirer when it broke the Tiger Woods cheating scandal, but with this O.J. news, everyone bit.
But I couldn’t even find the story on the National Enquirer web site. The first mention of this I was able to track down came from the Weekly World News … of course another headline on that site is: Selig beats Frank McCourt unconscious.
Anyway, the O.J. news sounded dodgy to me, so I laid off. And now a representative from Winfrey’s company, Harpo, has denied the report, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Despite a National Enquirer report that Simpson confessed from prison to murdering ex wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, a rep for Harpo tells The Hollywood Reporter, “That’s not true.”
There are all manner of O.J. prison stories circulating these days; call them, I guess, a collection of urban prison myths. O.J. has started a prison baseball team. O.J. has made parole. O.J. is beaten by inmates and is close to death. If all of these various reports are to be believed, O.J. is beaten senseless at least three times a week. I don’t know how the man has survived.
Oprah, by the way, says she still wants the O.J. confession-interview, but on her terms. Sneaking a microphone baked into a cake into Lovelock Correctional is something I wouldn’t put past her. Also, Oprah staging a Lex Luthor-like prison break like in the second Superman movie. But it hasn’t happened yet.
A Harpo rep tells THR online rumors are ‘not true.’ [The Hollywood Reporter]
Has O.J. Simpson confessed murder to Oprah? Huge TV interview planned in which convict ‘will admit he killed Nicole in self-defence as she pulled a knife on him’ [Daily Mail]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte