Jun 19, 2011, 12:51 AM EDT
Seventeen-year-old Nathan Kotylak turned himself in to Vancouver police earlier today, and it’s looking like it may have been as much for his own protection as anything else. Kotylak, a former member of Canada’s junior national water polo team, was outed as a participant in Wednesday’s hockey riot when a photo and videos, showing him apparently trying to set a police car on fire, began circulating on the Internet.
Kotylak, the son of a prominent B.C. surgeon, quickly became the online poster boy for irresponsible, privileged youth who participated in the mayhem. The family lives in an upscale section of Vancouver and Nathan is headed to the University of Calgary on an athletic scholarship.
From the Calgary Herald:
“What I did was dumb and I let my family and friends down,” the 17-year-old told Global B.C., choking back tears with his parents at his side. “I was caught up in the moment.”
The teenager, who is noticeable in the photo for the distinctive pair of blue and orange running shoes, waived his rights as a young offender to go public with his apology Saturday evening.
“I want to own up to what I did and encourage others to do the same,” Kotylak told Global. “I’m just ashamed.”
Kotylak was suspended by Water Polo Canada on Friday.
Teen water polo star apologizes for “dumb” role in riots [Calgary Herald]
Man caught in Vancouver riot photos tearfully apologizes [Global News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights