Jun 17, 2011, 3:29 PM EDT
If you claim to be even a fringe follower of the Boston sports scene, you probably have the name of Tim Thomas, the goalie who put a whole franchise on his 37-year-old, 5-foot-10 shoulders and carried them all the way to a Stanley Cup championship, permanently emblazoned into your cranium, right? Not if you’re Sen. John Kerry, who can’t seem to get his aides to get the correct athlete names in his notes.
From calling ‘Lambeau Field’ ‘Lambert Field’, stating that his favorite Red Sox player was ‘Eddie Yost’ — a guy who spent most of his career toiling with the Washington Senators — to squeezing together the names of two Boston hitting legends to create the steroid super beast ‘Manny Ortiz,’ Kerry just can’t seem to not look like an idiot when he opens his mouth about sports.
This time, he referred to Tim Thomas as ‘Tim O’Brien’, which, to be fair, would be the quintessential Boston sports superstar moniker. Excuses? He could have championship trophies on the brain, as the NBA trophy is called the ‘Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy’. He could also be trying to raise awareness of the Vietnam war by subliminally referencing author Tim O’Brien, who wrote a bunch of books on the subject. Either way, Kerry’s making Yale look stupid! And that’s never happened before!
Calling in to the Gresh & Zo Boston radio show on 98.5, Kerry mistakenly referred to Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas as “Tim O’Brien.”
They say religion, sex and politics are the three things best left out of civilized conversation.
John Kerry would do well to add “Boston sports” to that list.
Pretty soon Kerry’s going to reach the Willie Mays level of “you can appear at events, just make sure to keep your mouth shut. If you have to talk, comment on how beautiful of a day it is, and how much you love everybody around you.” That never fails.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games