Wake Up Call: Peoria Chiefs to give out ‘LeBron James NBA Championship Replica Ring,’ which of course will just be air
Jun 15, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
What’s more fun than mocking LeBron James and promoting your own team in the process? Oh Peoria Chiefs, you funsters. On Thursday the Chiefs — Class-A, Cubs affiliate — will hold a LeBron James 2011 NBA Championship Replica Ring Giveaway. Press release:
The replica ring, which like LeBron’s is non-existent, will be handed out to all fans through the gates prior to the 7:00 p.m. game against Wisconsin.
In addition to the LeBron replica ring, the Chiefs are looking into whether or not the game can skip the fourth inning to honor King James who took off the fourth quarter of every finals game.
“We aren’t sure if the league will allow it,” said team President Rocky Vonachen. “But if LeBron doesn’t need to show up for the fourth, maybe we won’t either.”
The night is formally a tribute to the Chicago Bulls, as the Chiefs will be honoring that teams’ six NBA titles in the 1990s.
“Really this is just us getting back to the real world and waking up today and trying to solve our own personal problems,” said Vice President of Ticket Sales Eric Obalil.
But let’s get down to real business. NASCAR driver Jeff Burton and his No. 31 car will also be at O’Brien Field. And, it’s Thirsty Thursday!
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed after watching a drunken steamroller joyride end the way that every drunken steamroller joyride must …
- Florida State’s first two football opponents this coming season will be La.-Monroe and Charleston Southern. What, Immaculate Heart-Los Angeles wasn’t available?
- Libya is still scheduled to play host to the Africa Cup of Nations in 2013. I see no way anything could go wrong.
- Apparently Denver Post columnist and ESPN talking head guy Woody Paige just makes stuff up for his columns.
The Lake Elsinore Storm Gorilla gets in on the planking craze.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Otters know a pointless plot when they see one.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found