Jun 14, 2011, 11:29 AM EST
The Women’s World Cup is nearly here; a fact that you are not likely to forget thanks to German Playboy and these ladies: Annika Doppler, Ivana Rudelic and Julia Simic of Bayern Munich; Selina Wagner of Wolfsburg and Kristina Gessat of Gutersloh. The London Daily Mail has done the work of previewing a few of the pictures from the photo spread (someone had to), and here they are (somewhat NSFW). As Sepp Blatter might say, these will have to be taken to private committee to be carefully studied.
As far as I can tell none of these players is actually on the German World Cup team, which kind of makes this cover misleading, but I’ve decided to withhold my official complaint. Anyway, the World Cup — to be held in Germany, of course — begins June 26 and yes, the U.S. will be there. We’re the top seed in Group C, which also includes Colombia, Sweden and North Korea. The other top seeds are Germany, Japan and Brazil.
And so the eternal conundrum surfaces one again: Do we watch the Women’s World Cup because of the athletic prowess of the athletes, or — at German Playboy would have us believe — because of aesthetics? For many the answer is: What is this Women’s World Cup you speak of?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found