Jun 8, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
Any time I see the headline “Chandler poses in knickers”, I always investigate. Who knows what my relatives have been up to? Or myself, for that matter. This time it’s not blackout related: Tracy Chandler, Britain’s only female soccer mascot who has been playing Donny Dog for the Doncaster Rovers for the past four years, has been sacked. All because she tried to raise money for a children’s charity by posing in her underwear, next to her mascot costume, for the Sunday Sport magazine.
Here’s one of the photos of Tracy posing next to her dog costume, which she said was tastefully done, “tongue in cheek.” Judge for yourself. But the Rovers told her in an email that she had “disgraced the club,” according to Tracy. Bad dog.
Dark-haired Tracy only agreed to show off her curves to help raise money for children’s charity the NSPCC, which the club has been supporting with a series of fund-raising activities.
But stuffy directors reckon the glamour pictures gave the football club a bad image and booted her out of her voluntary role as mascot Donny Dog.
Tracy, from Armthorpe, Doncaster has been wearing the Donny Dog costume at matches and representing the club at charity events in the town for four years.
The 40-year-old mum-of-three said: “I can’t believe what has happened. I am livid that they have done this. I have worked hard as the mascot and I didn’t even get paid for it. I loved the job and I was more than happy to do it.
This is the same team, it should be noted, that allowed its players to pose naked for a charity calendar last year.
Doncaster Rovers sack mascot Donny Dog for posing in her underwear [Guardian UK]
Club bosses blow whistle on saucy soccer mascot [The Sun]
English Soccer Club Sacks Mascot After She Poses In Her Underwear [The Grid]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car