Jun 6, 2011, 3:01 PM EST
There’s avoiding a fight, and then there’s turning down $65 million for a fight. The former is strategy, the latter is lunacy. That’s what Floyd Mayweather Jr. reportedly said to the prospect of a fight with Manny Pacquiao in Singapore, according to Bob Arum, the head of Top Rank Promotions. If true, Mayweather’s behavior has now been upgraded from “ducking” Pacquiao to “running, screaming like a Girl Scout.”
Arum told boxing reporter Elie Seckbach that as recently as last week, “legitimate people in Singapore” offered Mayweather $65 million to fight Pacquiao, and that Mayweather turned them down.
“You know, one thing about Floyd, Floyd knows boxing. And Floyd knows style. That’s why Floyd was always reticent about fighting a southpaw. And a southpaw like Manny Pacquiao he wants no part of, because even if he protects himself with the left hand, Manny is going to bang him with the right hand.”
“Anyone with any smarts at all knows that [Mayweather's] record is really 48-1, because he’s already lost to Manny Pacquiao by ducking him.”
Of course all of this comes from a man who has the most vested interest in all of vested interests, so one shouldn’t take it as gospel. Still, it’s entertaining. Because when it comes to Mayweather-Pacquiao, pinning Mayweather to the ropes and pounding him with charges of being a sissy is the only real action we’re going to see.
If Mayweather is smart, he’d do this: Tell Pacquiao he’ll fight him if Pacquiao does a condom commercial.
Manny Pacquiao wants to ban condoms in the Philippines [Off the Bench]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found