Jun 2, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
Is the world ready for Rocky: the musical? Ready or not, it’s in development. From the New York Times:
The Tony winner Thomas Meehan, who wrote the books for “Annie,” “The Producers” and “Young Frankenstein,” is writing the libretto. He said that Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, who teamed for “Ragtime,” “Seussical” and “Glorious Ones,” are composing lyrics and music, and that Joe Mantello (“Wicked”) is in line to be the director.
According to Playbill, which first reported this, the musical will be based on the first Rocky movie … and not Rocky IV, which would have been my choice. (Dolph Lundgren sings the haunting “I Must Break You”).
“It was made to be a musical,” Meehan said. It’s got all the elements.”
“Sylvester Stallone won’t be in it, but he’s given us his blessing,” Meehan said. “He and I sat and worked it out together. It’s really, on some level, autobiographical. He was an actor nobody cared about. The whole thing is an analogy of his own life.”
Burt Young dance numbers? Show-stopping song involving Rocky punching meat? Wayne Brady as Apollo Creed? I want tickets NOW.
Rocky, The Broadway Musical? Rocky, The Broadway Musical [Ted Williams Head]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found