May 27, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
We take you now to Arrowhead Credit Union Park in San Bernardino, CA, where the Inland Empire 66ers (Class-A California League Angels affiliate) are mired in a particularly worrisome losing streak. After hitting rock bottom with a 17-2 loss to Visalia, some players are driven to desperate measures. And so, a bat-purifying ritual takes place just outside the stadium, as players load some of their game bats into a trash can and attempt to summon Jobu with copious amounts of lighter fluid. From MiLB.com’s Benjamin Hill, who happened to be there:
Before lighting this mess ablaze, veteran southpaw Harold Williams gave a speech about how this fire symbolized a fresh start. It was a surprisingly somber and serious affair (to me, at least), but losing is no fun so I can appreciate how miserable these guys had been recently.
Burn, burn, yes you’re gonna burn!
The fire lasted just long enough for the grounds crew to smell it and blast it with a fire extinguisher. But did it work?
The 66ers went out on Monday night and scored five runs in the first inning, highlighted by back-to-back-to-back home runs by Michael Wing, Cody Haerther and Kole Calhoun. Meanwhile, a trio of pitchers kept the Rawhide offense in check, and the 66ers rolled to a 7-1 win.
I have a newfound faith in the power of baseball voodoo.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while working the stripper pole on the NYC ‘L’ train …
- Will Rush Limbaugh buy the Vikings and move them to Los Angeles? Probably not, but let’s talk about it.
- How Carlos Boozer’s flagrant foul on LeBron James spelled doom for Bulls.
- Former Falcons cheerleader arrested in chop shop bust.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
The beavers furiously attempt to build a more interesting plot.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found