May 24, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
Great piece in Sports Illustrated by L. Jon Wertheim on the rise and fall (and rise again?) of Tiki Barber, the ex-NY Giants running back and ex-NBC broadcaster (correspondent for The Today Show and Football Night in America/Sunday Night Football), who is planning on an NFL comeback this season.
Great stuff throughout, but here’s the part that jumped out at me, concerning Barber and his girlfriend, Traci Johnson (pictured), moving in with Barber’s agent, Mark Lepselter.
Barber and Johnson went into hiding in the attic of Lepselter’s house in New Jersey. “Lep’s Jewish,” says Barber, “and it was like a reverse Anne Frank thing.” (Here is Barber writ small: He has the wit and smarts to make an Anne Frank allusion and the artlessness to liken himself—an adulterer trying to elude gossip columnists—to a Holocaust victim.)
Yowza. Not so sure about the smarts, however. My favorite Tiki Barber moment will always be that time he appeared on the Discovery Channel game show Cash Cab. When asked what Steinbeck novel included a character named Tom Joad, Tiki answered, “Lonesome Dove.” Your favorite moment may vary.
H/T Mark Weinstein.
Tiki Barber gets real [Sports Illustrated]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery