May 20, 2011, 1:06 PM EDT
A couple things you may not have known about Macho Man Randy Savage: real name, Randall Mario Poffo. His father, Angelo Poffo, once held the world sit-up record. We’re playing Pomp and Circumstance here at the office in the memory of Macho Man, who died in a car accident after apparently suffering a heart attack, according to TMZ.
Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median … through oncoming traffic … and “collided head-on with a tree” in Tampa.
Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.
Savage’s wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision — but survived with “minor injuries.” She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.
Savage came close to pursuing a pro baseball career instead of wrestling, making it as high as the Class-A Florida State League (Tampa Tarpons) as a catcher before a knee injury derailed him. From an interview with IGN in 2004:
I played pro baseball for the Reds, the Cardinals, and the White Sox in their minor league systems. I had a great time doing it. I was signed out of high school, so I let football and basketball go to the side, and even though I had my grades in order, I wanted to take my shot at baseball. When that didn’t work out, my dad, a wrestler named Angelo Poffo, said he could open the door for me in terms of taking a chance at wrestling, so I decided to go for that.
Instead he became on of professional wrestling’s biggest icons, known mostly for his time in the World Wrestling Federation. Savage held twenty championships during his pro wrestling career. He was 58.
From Downers Grove North High School (IL) web site:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Who is the best free agent left on the market?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?