May 18, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Because you never know when another country will invade and ruthlessly try to topple your telephone poles, the Japanese military has invented a sport called Bo-Taoshi for its cadets. The rules are simple: There are 150 men on each team. Seventy-five men defend their team’s pole, while the other 75 try to pull down the opponents pole. This is done by any means necessary, and as you can see below, the mayhem is brutal, and of course stupid. A winning strategy usually involves running up the backs of your teammates, it seems, and launching yourself at the enemy pole. (Porn soundtrack here).
It’s a wacky version of capture-the-flag, actually. Don’t laugh. With the NFL lockout, ESPN will be televising this by October. Here’s another assault:
I’m having flashbacks: this is exactly what it was like on Free Taco Day at my high school.
New Sport: Bo-Taoshi [Deuce of Davenport]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found