May 18, 2011, 6:38 PM EST
You remember Jared Lorenzen, former backup quarterback (yep) for the New York Giants, who earned a Super Bowl ring with that team in 2007. Best known for his girth, his biggest accomplishment in the NFL was inspiring three spectacular nicknames: ‘J-Load,’ ‘The Pillsbury Throwboy,’ and ‘He Ate Me.’
Lorenzen disappeared from sight after being cut in the preseason by the Colts in 2008. Until now, that is. He’s playing quarterback for the Northern Kentucky River Monsters of the Ultimate Indoor Football League (he played college ball at Kentucky). From the Cincinnati Enquirer:
Lorenzen initially was hired to be the River Monsters’ general manager but got the itch to play again. He leads the UIFL in passing yards (256.6 yards per game) and efficiency (107.1 rating), and he is second with 69 touchdown passes.
And yes, that’s him pictured. He’s listed on the River Monsters roster at 6-foot-5, 290, but that latter number is obviously fiction. Obviously a QB doesn’t have to be very mobile to play indoor football, but still: nice going, Jared.
Here he is in his glory days with the Giants.
And hey, shouldn’t someone notify a certain sandwich chain that they could have their next Subway Jared?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found