May 10, 2011, 10:04 AM EST
And now a Giants fan is accosted right outside his own home park, although the results weren’t anywhere near as appalling as the tragic case of Bryan Stow at Dodger Stadium. This time, a young man leaving AT&T Park on Friday night was confronted by a man with a knife, who pointed it at the man’s stomach and demanded his commemorative Willie Mays statue. The keepsake was handed out that night on the occasion of Mays’ 80th birthday. The ghost of Herb Caen does not approve.
San Francisco police report the incident happened around 7:55 p.m. at AT&T. According to the police blotter a man approached the victim and asked where he got his bobble-head doll. The man asking the question then pulled out a knife and put it against the victim’s stomach. After that he took the doll and ran away.
The victim wasn’t hurt. The suspect and the bobble head have not been seen since.
Evidently, the robber was disappointed when he returned to his cardboard dwelling and discovered that the doll’s head did not, in fact, bobble. It is a statue. Yours is the pointy head that bobbles, Mr. Robber, being that it is not weighed down by a brain.
Anyway, this appeared on eBay moments later. Coincidence?
Giants fan robbed at knifepoint outside AT&T Park [Ballpark Digest]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found