May 8, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
You know, I’m almost starting to think that finding your 15 minutes of fame as a homeless man isn’t exactly a recipe for career success.
Ted Williams, the baritone bum who shot to fame earlier this year based off a viral YouTube video and captured our hearts, imaginations, and various job offers from across the nation, has apparently discovered that sometimes an offer is just that, and nothing more. Especially when you have a long history with drugs and shoot yourself in the foot around minute six of that fame. Since when do viral video stories come with anything less than a storybook ending?
The NEWS-HERALD reports the bum turned star isn’t working for the Cleveland Cavaliers. They famously offered him a deal after his YouTube video went viral, without realizing the long resume of drug abuse and criminal activity he’s provided society over the years as a derelict.
Ah, yes, the “long resume of drug abuse and criminal activity he’s provided society over the years as a derelict.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that phrase used in a job interview.
If nothing else, this should teach the Cavs a little lesson in human resources — viral video star or not, sometimes it’s best to, you know, know anything at all about the person you’re offering a position to before you dive head-first in to a feeding frenzy for just a bit of ever-fleeting publicity. Live and learn.
Best of luck to Mr. Williams in his future searches for both sobriety and employment, and best of luck to the Cleveland Cavaliers in finding anyone else who actually wants to work for them.
Golden Voice bum dumped by NBA team? [BenMaller.com]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte