May 5, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
Remember the guy who trained for a marathon in Los Angeles this past March by eating nothing by McDonald’s food for 30 days straight? Joe D’Amico of Palatine, Ill., explains what the hell he was thinking in an interview with WSCR radio in Chicago on Wednesday.
“I ate everything that I normally would’ve eaten. I would eat at McDonald’s probably four or five times a week before I started this diet, so my body was quite used to it. But during the 30 days, I had just about everything there. I keep the portions reasonable. I had two dozen hamburgers, a lot of chicken. I did have salads and all that stuff. I ate cookies. You name it, I ate it.
I did a couple of Shamrock shakes during it. You’ve got to live, got to have fun.”
So what was the typical breakfast?:
“Breakfast I do hotcakes. I get an order of hotcakes, a parfait which has got some strawberries in it. … I do an Egg McMuffin and then some OJ and that would be breakfast.”
Did anyone else try this? And why McDonald’s?:
“I’ve got teammates that wouldn’t be caught in that place. They are the furthest thing from McDonald’s. But when I told them what I was doing, they were fully supportive. So this just started as a personal challenge. I wanted to do something different. … When we saw the reaction, people were really positive, they got it. We were just having fun with it and that’s when we started the fundraising for Ronald McDonald House.”
The assault on his innards must be tempered with the fact that he raised more than $40,000 for Ronald McDonald House.
McRunner Joe D’Amico Completes Mission to Run a McMarathon [Sports Radio Interviews]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found