May 5, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
Donald Trump was supposed to be driving the pace car at this year’s 100th edition of the Indy 500, but according to the Indianapolis Star, The Donald has backed out at the last minute. Trump said that the pace car duties would conflict with his plans for a potential presidential run, which of course is an enormous helping of manure. The real reason has more to do with the Facebook campaign to bump Trump from the proceedings, plus grumblings from race officials and local clergy that he’s not right for the honor.
All that birther stuff hasn’t played well in Indiana, it seems.
But Trump wants us to believe he simply hasn’t the time.
“I very much appreciate the honor, but time and business constraints make my appearance there, especially with the necessary practice sessions, impossible to fulfill,” Trump said. “I look forward to watching the race from New York.”
Sure, no reason for a potential presidential candidate to grab a coveted photo op at an iconic sporting event to be seen by millions around the globe. Best to sequester yourself in your hotel suite like a shut-in and watch the race with Gary Busey.
“Don! Pass the bean dip, amigo.”
NASCAR Fans Want To Dump Donald Trump, In Part Because Of ‘The Birther Stuff’ [Sports Grid]
Donald Trump backs out of driving Indy 500 pace car [Indianapolis Star]
Donald Trump Faces Backlash At Indy 500 [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show