May 4, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
Luke Scott would like you to know that a.) Osama bin Laden is not really dead; b.) The Earth is flat; c.) The Bush administration blew up the Twin Towers; d.) President Obama’s birth certificate may be a fake. Please choose one. Or, what the hell, choose “all of the above” as if it makes any difference. No matter what you pick, it spells Laughing Academy valedictorian.
Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star talked with the Orioles’ Scott recently, and wrote about it in an article released Tuesday night. Let’s put on our tinfoil hats, set the amusement meter to “raucous” and take a look, shall we?
“(President Obama’s) birth certificate has yet to be validated,” [Scott] is saying.
“If they can counterfeit $100 bills, I think it’s a million times easier to counterfeit a birth certificate, if you ask me,” Scott says. “So, all it is, let’s just see if it’s real. Anybody can produce a document, so let’s check it out.”
An Orioles employee saw me talking to Scott to make it clear that the organization doesn’t endorse his views. They even asked him to only talk baseball on company time, and released public statements distancing themselves from Scott’s political opinions, something more teams are finding reason to do recently.
So basically, as Scott is talking, an Orioles PR guy is behind him shaking his head and holding up a sign that reads “Not really.”
That Scott is a notorious birther has been known for some time, but I’d assumed he’d retired this particular brand of crazy last week. But, nope.
When Scott says that anything is possible, however, I would tend to agree. If you put Scott, Darren Daulton and Brian Wilson in the same room and lock the door for a couple of hours, upon reentering, you’re likely to find a portal to another dimension, where up is down, Andy Dick is sober and this birther stuff makes sense.
By the way, if Scott ever makes reference to joining “The tea party,” this is what he means.
Being a famous athlete doesn’t make you an expert [Kansas City Star]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games