Apr 28, 2011, 10:04 AM EDT
The Braves are still “investigating” the Roger McDowell incident, in which the Atlanta pitching coach got into it with some fans at a Giants game at AT&T Park on Saturday. Expletives, homophobic slurs, threats of violence; Roger apparently left no stone unturned that day, and crawled out from under at least one of them. His actions during pregame batting practice were so uncouth that Giants fan Justin Quinn engaged undead vampire attorney Gloria Allred to make his case at a live press conference on Wednesday, demanding an apology from McDowell, a suspension, plus several pints of blood. Commissioner Bud Selig is waiting on the Braves to decide what, if anything, he should do about it (sorry to wake you up for this, Bud).
Nothing really new about this in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution story this morning, but as always, the comments section was interesting. Included were these stories from anonymous (what else?) readers, who claim that they, too, had run-ins with McDowell during Braves’ games — both in Washington D.C. These guys, however, are Braves fans. Take them for what they’re worth:
I watched and heard McDowell do a similar thing at Nationals Park in May of last season. I sat next to the Braves’ bullpen while Tim Hudson warmed up. Some kid yelled something at Hudson (which I did not hear), and McDowell told the kid to send his mother to his hotel room later on. Yes, he needs to shut his mouth. And yes, MLB needs to do something about the behavior of fans who can sit there all night dropping f-bombs on the left fielder (who was Matty D that night).
April 28th, 2011
Telling a kid to “send his mother to his hotel room later on.” What a sweet man. Here’s another one:
A devout fan of the ATL Braves I went to Washington for Bobby’s 2500th win last year in September. If everyone remembers, that series was directly after the Philly series in which we were swept and the NL East was gone. I get to the Nats game early, and head to the pen. I was talking with Kimbrel, and complimenting Johnny Venters on his gutsy pitching, when Roger (McDowell) came out from the bullpen, and said loudly,
“WE DON’T NEED YOUR SH**.” I replied “Yall needs someones SH** or we are going to lose the wild card.” Then McDowell immediately said “Go back to your seat a**hole, we still don’t need your SH**.”
To make a long story short, if I was wearing a Braves jersey, hat and coat, and he cussed me, I wonder what he says to a heckler from another city… He has anger issues, and from that moment on I have referred to him as Roger McDUESHEBAG. He will get what he deserves. He is an arrogant p****. THREE WORDS FOR YOU ROGER…
WELCOME BACK LEO!!!!!!!
– Roger Mcdumb
April 28th, 2011
I thought that McDowell was finished as soon as Allred rolled out Quinn’s twin nine-year-old daughters, both adorably dressed in pink, who read statements about the bad baseball man who said mean things. Say what you want about Allred, but she knows her business. And judging from last year’s NLDS smackdown, she knows it better than a certain Braves pitching coach knows his.
Braves continue to investigate McDowell allegations [Atlanta Journal-Constitution]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Rask shuts out Blackhawks, 2-0
- Play Video: Does 'Hard Knocks' make sense for Bengals?
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: The Hype: Beckham to the NFL?