Apr 15, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
As the Portland Timbers mulled who they would get to sing the National Anthem for their first-ever MLS game on Thursday, they had an epiphany. Why not let their fans do it? And so, apparently inspired by the Edmonton Oilers, the Timbers Army was tasked with putting on a show, and they didn’t disappoint. Portland’s first MLS game started with a bang.
If you’re wondering how a thing like this gets organized, here’s a clue. One of the things I love about the MLS is that they’ve managed to import the European tradition of rabid fan support, minus the hooliganism. The Timbers Army has already proven to be one of the great fan organizations, and they got themselves ready for this. Oh, and the Timbers won at newly renovated Jeld-Wen Field, 4-2, over the Chicago Fire.
Another reason to love the Timbers? Their mascot isn’t some type of walking carpet … it’s an actual dude, with a chainsaw. Timber Joey was also in the house on Thursday.
Some may be uncomfortable about celebrating the destruction of trees, but I rationalize it this way: Timber Joey only cuts down the dead trees of the forest that need to be cleared anyway. He also recycles.
Timbers Army sings National Anthem [WV Hooligans]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom