Apr 14, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
Purdue University attempted to update its mascot recently, and the student body was not amused. So the new Purdue Pete (pictured) was ousted in a nearly bloodless coup after only a few days of life, being literally booed off the field by Purdue fans at the annual Back and Gold football game on Saturday. Following a campaign that included a Facebook page dedicated to the old mascot’s return, original Purdue Pete was then reinstalled by the administration. Since I’m no expert in giant papier-mâché heads, and own very few boilers, I’ll pass on this controversy.
The university’s action came Wednesday, days after Purdue Pete’s new full-bodied costume design was greeted with boos during last weekend’s annual spring football game.
The Journal & Courier of Lafayette reports fans overwhelmingly preferred the older outfit that featured a student wearing an oversized mascot head with wide open eyes. That version debuted in 1989 and was retired last week, only to be returned to action this week.
The mascot was redesigned because the university said it was scaring children. Indeed, the student inside the costume said that it was necessary to approach children cautiously, lest they start screaming.
Of course as soon as he was reinstated, Purdue Pete celebrated via Twitter:
@realpurduepete I was able to free myself and demand a meeting with Pres Cordova and won her over w/ my big head charm!
Still the creepiest mascot in the Big Ten. Which isn’t bad, necessarily.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT