Apr 13, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT
Steve Eck (on the left in the photo) is the men’s basketball coach for Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College (Blue Dragons!) (Mike Zagurski!). On Tuesday Eck walked in on a guy stealing things from his residence, and a chase ensued. The coach was joined by an off-duty fireman, and together they subdued the alleged crook and handed him over to police. But here’s the interesting part to me:
The firefighter sustained minor injuries after helping Eck tackle a man suspected of burglarizing Eck’s HCC dorm room, where the coach sometimes stays the night to keep an eye on his players, according to Hutchinson Police Detective Thad Pickard.
Headline on this story should have been: Basketball coach lives in college dorm room so that he can keep an eye on his players. Awesome.
If results are important, someday all college coaches will live in the dorm with their players. Eck has a 222-52 record as a junior college head coach and 650-86 overall at all levels.
H/T Matt Davis.
Eck chases down burglar outside dorms [Wichita Eagle]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found