Apr 12, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
Unless they’re busy trying to remove a stray hockey skate from the forehead of an unamused spectator, doctors in British Columbia have been hereby banned from doing their first love: talking hockey during surgery. It all happened after one whiny patient who didn’t enjoy hockey talk during eye surgery has screwed the pooch for all 11,000 BC surgeons. Now they must either talk about the latest breaking news in the world of surgery or sit in stone cold silence, fuming over the memory of the days when they were free without the fear of getting reprimanded by, uh, whomever is the boss of doctors. House?
The National Hockey League is just around the corner. And thus the advisory has been issued by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of B.C. to the 11,000 doctors of the province reminding them talking only about things related to the surgical task are allowed in the operating room.
Dr. Heidi Otter, Registrar of the province’s College of Physicians and Surgeons said that they have issued this advice after listening to a complaint of the patient, who said that his surgeon was discussing a hockey game with nurses while he was operating his eye. Dr. Otter has further marked that a reminder has been included in the quarterly report, which was posted on the licensing body’s website last December.
“In a patient-centred system, you first consider the patient. Some patients may want to hear their surgeon announce what is happening and other patients may not want to hear a word,” she said.
Better not get hurt, British Columbia. I smell a doctor strike on the horizon. A Canadian without hockey banter is Hall without Oates, candy without corn, Darth without Vader, Prince without makeup. A tragedy.
No More Hockey Chat for B.C. Surgeons during Surgery [French Tribune]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams