Apr 12, 2011, 1:41 PM EDT
Via Hardball Talk comes disheartening news: A writer for the Observer-Reporter in Washington, Pa., John Steigerwald, has written a column blaming Giants fan Bryan Stow for his own beating at Dodger Stadium. Craig at Hardball Talk states it pretty well, and you can read the Steigerwald column and judge for yourself. But here are a couple of excerpts:
Maybe someone can ask Snow, if he ever comes out of his coma, why he thought it was a good idea to wear Giants’ gear to a Dodgers’ home opener when there was a history of out-of-control drunkenness and arrests at that event going back several years.
Are there really 40-something men who think that wearing the jersey makes them part of the team? It was cute when a 10-year-old kid got that feeling by showing up at Three Rivers Stadium in a Pirates jersey, but when did little boys stop growing out of that?
Bonus: Stow is misspelled in Steigerwald’s column as “Snow” throughout.
After reading the column, be sure to check out the comments. That’s the best part.
Anyway, before getting too worked up over this, please realize who Steigerwald is. A Pittsburgh native and former TV sports anchor, he now hosts a Pennsylvania-based radio show in which he dishes big helpings of political and social commentary. One of his big crusades currently is outrage over the elementary school that doesn’t allow its students to bring sack lunches. Steigerwald also apparently thinks that Ann Coulter is swell, to give you an idea of what we’re dealing with. Here’s an excerpt from a post on his blog from Friday:
Sometimes there’s a heavy price to pay for an adult who wears the wrong colored jersey to a baseball or football game.
A Giants fan found that out after the Dodgers home opener a few days ago when he was beaten within an inch of his life.
As I’ve pointed out here many times, I just don’t get the adults wearing jerseys thing and I wonder why anyone would wade into a crowd full of drunken idiots wearing something that had the potential to set them off.
He’s also been savaged in his own comments section. Anyway, what we have here is just another conservative shock jock Limbaugh wannabe making a publicity grab, and normally he would earn no mention. But this is just so wrong, he needs to be called on it.
Oh, and by the way, via Timothy Burke, here’s Mr. “Adults Shouldn’t Wear Jerseys” wearing a Pirates jersey.
You may now go back to ignoring him.
Know when you’ve outgrown the uniform [Observer-Reporter]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles