Mar 31, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
Zounds. It was the quarterfinals of the Miami Masters on Wednesday when Spain’s David Ferrer was set to serve to American Mardy Fish in the second set. Suddenly, from the stands, a crying baby distracts Ferrer, and he ends up losing the point. With the baby still wailing, Ferrer shows his displeasure by whacking a ball in the direction of the noise. And apparently the baby got the message, because the crying ceased. Listen, nothing will get a baby’s attention like a little chin music.
Surprisingly, this did not go over well with the crowd, which turned on Ferrer rather vigorously. And frankly, I don’t recall the chapter in the Dr. Spock book about disciplining your baby by firing tennis balls at him. Although I never read the entire thing.
Anyway, Ferrer lost, 7-5, 6-2. He later said that he had a stomach ailment. About the baby:
“It was in one moment of the match, but nothing special. It was not the problem.”
Fish said post-match that he did not see Ferrer hit the ball into the stands.
“He’d probably take that one back if he could. He’s a very nice guy. Obviously flustered.”
Probably shouldn’t bring your baby to the tennis match, fella. Also, babies shouldn’t be playing.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed after watching “Strange Brew” for the 17th time and getting a brilliant idea …
- Throughout history, mankind has asked one simple question: Can a machete be fired from a slingshot?
- Bengals’ Dhani Jones auditions to become the new voice of the Aflac duck.
- Ever wonder what it feels like to punch a granite statue with your bare hand? Ask John Wall.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Fortunately, Mark has plenty of experience burning large amounts of drugs in a hurry.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found