Stuff you can’t make up: Sheriff Joe Arpaio uses a tank and Steven Seagal to break up cockfighting ring
Mar 31, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Listen, I’m not guaranteeing that this will be the next great action movie franchise, but can we at least take a meeting? Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio was taking no chances when he decided to take down a cockfighting operation near Phoenix on Monday. Not only did he employ a SWAT team, a bomb robot and three armored vehicles — including a small tank — but fully-armed action star Steven Seagal was also part of the operation. Jesus Llovera, suspected of running the cockfighting ring, was arrested at the scene. One terrified neighbor who called 911 described the mayhem:
KPHO talked to Debra Ross, one of the neighbors, who was so shocked at the show of force, she called 911. “When the tank came in and pushed the wall over and you see what’s in there, and all it is, is a bunch of chickens,” Ross said.
More than 100 roosters and one peacock (?) are now safe due to Operation Odyssey Chicken. But Arpaio has been taking criticism for the show of force ever since.
The Sheriff’s Department says the use of force was appropriate, but Llovera’s attorney told KPHO that the whole thing was “a stage, to help actor Steven Seagal’s TV show, Lawman.“
The show was taping at the time and KPHO reports that Seagal was on the tank.
Of course he was.
“Animal cruelty is one of my pet peeves,” Seagal said. The former action star tells ABC15 he took on a strong role in Wednesday’s bust.
“I came in on the 150 and we broke down the gate,” Seagal said of riding an MCSO tank onto Sanchez’s property. “I deployed out on the side of the house, and guarded one side of the house, to see if anyone would run out.”
No chicken left behind.
I am currently deployed at my desk, doubling over in fits of laughter.
Arizona Sheriff Uses A Tank And Steven Seagal To Arrest Cockfighting Suspect [NPR]
Steven Seagal, Sheriff Raid Valley Home In Tank [KPHO]
Suspected Cockfighter Under Siege by Seagal [The PETA Files]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Captain Callahan answers for Rangers
- Play Video: Chudzinski: 'Too early' to name a QB