Mar 30, 2011, 5:38 PM EDT
On campus, they’re comparing Butler coach Brad Stevens with Clark Kent. There’s a #FearTheGlasses hashtag on Twitter, and a Fear the Glasses meme generator. And Friday is Wear Glasses In Support of Brad Stevens and Butler Day, where, one supposes, an entire university will be bespectacled. Nothing like this has been seen since the opening of the first Harry Potter movie. In America this week, it’s all about the glasses.
Stevens began wearing glasses after “a contact lens mishap” at the end of the regular season. Since then Butler has been unbeaten in tournament play, but you probably knew that. Did yo know, though, that Stevens is so superstitious that the glasses are never likely to come off? From the Butler Collegian:
That mind is a superstitious one, which is why Stevens has not yet sought out new contacts.
“I know he’s not going to take them off this year because we haven’t lost since he started wearing them,” Nored said.
Stevens confirmed Nored’s hunch, saying that he would not switch to contact lenses right now, even if the doctor told him it was necessary.
Smith and senior Grant Leiendecker gave further insight into Stevens’ superstitious nature.
“We’ve been having the same pre-game meal—spaghetti, chicken, baked potato, garlic bread, fruit salad—for I don’t even know how long,” Smith said.
“We’ll stay in the same hotels if we won while we were there,” Leiendecker said, “Or not go back to a restaurant if a loss followed a meal there.
“He’s superstitious until the day he dies.”
Meanwhile, TMZ reports that Butler’s mascot, a bulldog named Blue 2, got a chartered flight to Houston for the Final Four, and once there was put up in a luxury hotel and received spa treatment. Woof.
Stevens sees glasses as secret weapon [Butler Collegian]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires