Mar 28, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
Has anyone seen Evan Longoria’s AK-47? It was swiped from a house that the Tampa Bay Rays’ third baseman was renting along teammates David Price and Reid Brignac in Port Charlotte, Fla. The Charlotte County Sheriff’s office said that burglars entered the home through an unlocked window.
Also, that the items stolen were valued at nearly $56,000 and included jewelry, cash, computer equipment, electronics, and a weapon.
The weapon, an AK-47 rifle, belonged to Longoria. It was “perfectly legal,” according to the sheriff’s office.
That’s where Longoria went wrong. When I’m on vacation or on a business trip, I usually leave my automatic weapons at home.
“That was one of the biggest things,” Longoria said, “that everybody was okay and safe, and nobody had to fight their way out of a home invasion robbery. … A multitude of different things could have happened, and there could have been people injured.”
From Rob Iracane:
@Rob Iracane Glad it wasn’t for business use, I guess. RT @SPTimesRays: #Rays Longoria said AK-47 rifle stolen from spring house was a “personal item.”
Deputies: Evan Longoria’s AK-47 stolen in Tampa Bay Rays’ rental home break-in [St. Petersburg Times]
Home break-in victimizes Tampa Bay Rays’ Evan Longoria, David Price, Reid Brignac [St. Petersburg Times]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?