Mar 23, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
Somewhere in a janitor’s closet, behind the mops and economy buckets of cleaning solution, stands Michael Vick’s old high school football jersey. The administration at Warwick High School in Newport News, VA, is stashing it there for safekeeping — much like the U.S. Government stored the Ark of the Covenant at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It used to be in the school trophy case, but no more.
A student campaign to replace Vick’s jersey to a place of prominence has been rebuffed by the school, according to TMZ.com. The jersey had been on display until 2007, when Vick was sent up the river for operating a dogfighting ring. Since his return to the NFL, some students have asked to have it returned.
Officials tell us they believe the jersey would be a “distraction to the student’s education” … plus, faculty members are concerned the jersey could be vandalized or stolen.
We’re told the decision is not set in stone — and school officials tell us they may consider returning the jersey to a place of honor sometime in the future.
Would that future time include George Jetson flying cars and vacations to Jupiter? Probably. Here’s a quote from one of the students from earlier this month:
Warwick senior Mario Lawrence says having it re-hung is a matter of school pride.
“I love my school,” Lawrence said. “Warwick Raiders all day! I’ve been in over 10 clubs since I’ve been in high school.”
Lawrence says he’s set himself one more goal before he graduates in June.
“I want to get Michael Vick’s jersey re-framed back at school,” he said. “It used to be up when I was a freshman and then they took it down.
“He’s doing really good now,” Lawrence said of Vick. “You know everyone makes mistakes. After he made mistakes, he just didn’t stay down. He got up and just rebuilt his self. That’s an inspiration for high school students.”
Well, it’s not going to happen anytime soon. Until then, you’ll just have to be happy with admiring the framed shirt of four-time Jeopardy champion and Warwick High grad Christian Haines.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Is Cabrera one of the greatest of all time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT