Mar 20, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Jon Jones had a busy Saturday. In a prime-time light heavyweight title fight at UFC 128, Jones became the youngest champion in the history of the league at 23 after defeating Maurice “Shogun” Rua via 3rd-round TKO. Earlier in the day, Jones became a champion of the people, after he and two of his trainers spotted someone breaking into cars, chased him down and subdued him until police arrived. Just hours before the biggest fight of his young life, Jones and his comrades took considerable risk in administering citizen’s justice but they didn’t let it sway them from doing the right thing:
Jones, along with [trainers] Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn, spotted the suspect breaking into a car and stealing some objects. According to the account given to Yahoo!’s Kevin Iole by Jackson, the group shouted at the robber and he took off.
Jones, Jackson and Winkeljohn pursued him on foot. The robber eventually fell and Jones, the youngest of the group at 23, caught up to the robber and tripped him to the ground again. Jackson said that Jones “foot swept” the suspect.
He’s lucky all he got was a foot sweep and not some sort of ankle bar or headlock or equally bone-breaking maneuver. Tactful.
Now, if you believe at all in karma, then maybe his amateur Batman act had a part in his historic success later that evening. If not, then it was just an ass-kicking, but either way a tip of the hat to Mr. Jones for his civic crime-stopping duties & his well-earned light heavyweight championship belt.
Unfortunately, Jones now faces a medical suspension for injuries sustained to his right hand in the victory, putting just a bit of a damper on the glow of his victorious day & night. For his sake, here’s hoping he uses his time now to recover, and not foil bank robberies & other associated acts of villainy in the streets of New Jersey.
But if Jones insists on doing the public a favor, maybe he could scoot over to the shore side of the state and give those vacuous publicity-devouring train wrecks from MTV’s Awful Program That Shall Not Be Named a leg sweep or three. Please?
Hours before the biggest fight of his life, Jones subdues a robber [Cagewriter]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel