Video: Australian bully’s mom wants ‘Casey the Punisher’ to apologize

Mar 16, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT

caseyanimation

An Australian kid became an Internet sensation on Monday when a YouTube video of him striking back against a bully went viral. Now the mother of the bully, a seventh-grader, wants sixteen-year-old Casey Heynes to apologize for body-slamming her son. But more on that below.

Casey is now a hero in much of the world, and has his own fan Facebook page, several other fan sites, and has been dubbed Casey the Punisher by his admirers. And of course with great fame comes your own Next Media Animation recreation. After that, I have some updates on the story. But first, enjoy:

Here’s the original video showing what Casey did.

The smaller boy’s name is Ritchard Gale.

The emotional mother of Ritchard Gale, Tina, told the Seven Network last night that she and her family have been victimised by the footage, which has spread worldwide. She also demanded an apology from the victim.

“We don’t need this posted everywhere,” she said. “I would like him to apologise.”

She said she was “shocked” at her son’s behaviour, but did not think he deserved to be bodyslammed by Year 10 student Casey Heynes at Chifley College’s Dunheved Campus, St Marys.

“I was actually shocked because I always brought my three children up to walk away from fights,” she said.

Fun facts:

• At thetelegraph.com.au, the bully video was viewed four times more than the devastation that struck Japan.
  • Both students were suspended for four days.

Casey’s father, via Daily Telegraph:

Casey’s father said yesterday his son had been the victim of bullying for several years and feared for his safety if he spoke about the fight.

“There’ll be reprisals from other kids in the school and he still has to go to school somewhere,” he said. “He’s not a violent kid, it’s the first time he’s lashed out and I don’t want him to be victimised over that.”

Students said violence was a daily occurrence with fights often filmed and posted online.

“The fights I have seen here, it’s horrible. It really makes me feel unsafe,” one said. A classmate added: “People pick on him every single day, they hit him around and stuff, and he just got sick of it and let out the anger.”

Casey the Punisher declares war on bullies. This is no time for loafers! Can we do any less?

***
    Bully’s angry mum wants victim to apologise [The Daily Telegraph]
    Bully power-slammed into concrete by fed-up victim [Off the Bench]

1. lunasceiling - Mar 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM

My suggested text for Casey’s apology:

Sorry for slamming you, Ritchard, even though you slugged me in the face. I should have realized a pencilneck like you couldn’t actually do me any real harm. That limp should go away in a week or two.
      Best, Casey

PS: I was going to say you hit like a girl, but I really, really don’t want to cheese off that girl at the end of the video. She looks like bad news.

2. freakybits - Mar 17, 2011 at 1:38 AM

3. jvitatx - Mar 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Her ignorant son shouldnt pick on people. The bigger kid should have finished him off and wiped the world of that little scumbag. The bully wants an apology from the victim what kind of world do we live in or are all australians just morons?

• whatsaysyou - Mar 24, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Well said. Why should the victim apologise to the bully when that bully is the one on the wrong?

4. startedin67 - Mar 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Mister Chandler, I applaud your “Mr.Sparkle” reference! Nicely done and very fitting!

5. jimrubart - Mar 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM

The mom wants an apology? Well at least that explains why the bully is like that in the first place.

6. being32 - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:29 AM

It’s all crazy!

7. prittykitty30 - Mar 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I wish journalists would check and recheck their sources. This type of reporting just adds fuel to the fire. The mother of the bully wants HER SON to apologize! It would be advisable that you make sure on what you report. On that note I am glad she is making her son do this.

8. prittykitty30 - Mar 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM

here is a link with what the mother ACTUALLY said!

• Rick Chandler - Mar 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM

The Daily Telegraph reported it the other way. And since they have access to the entire footage, unedited, I’m going with them. It’s possible the mother said a lot more than just want you saw.

9. kakarashii - Mar 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Have you guys seen the new interview with Casey Heynes?
      watch it on http://www.eheroesunited.com