Mar 16, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
An Australian kid became an Internet sensation on Monday when a YouTube video of him striking back against a bully went viral. Now the mother of the bully, a seventh-grader, wants sixteen-year-old Casey Heynes to apologize for body-slamming her son. But more on that below.
Casey is now a hero in much of the world, and has his own fan Facebook page, several other fan sites, and has been dubbed Casey the Punisher by his admirers. And of course with great fame comes your own Next Media Animation recreation. After that, I have some updates on the story. But first, enjoy:
Here’s the original video showing what Casey did.
The smaller boy’s name is Ritchard Gale.
The emotional mother of Ritchard Gale, Tina, told the Seven Network last night that she and her family have been victimised by the footage, which has spread worldwide. She also demanded an apology from the victim.
“We don’t need this posted everywhere,” she said. “I would like him to apologise.”
She said she was “shocked” at her son’s behaviour, but did not think he deserved to be bodyslammed by Year 10 student Casey Heynes at Chifley College’s Dunheved Campus, St Marys.
“I was actually shocked because I always brought my three children up to walk away from fights,” she said.
- At thetelegraph.com.au, the bully video was viewed four times more than the devastation that struck Japan.
- Both students were suspended for four days.
- Friday is National Day of Action Against Bullying and Violence in Australia. Seriously.
Casey’s father, via Daily Telegraph:
Casey’s father said yesterday his son had been the victim of bullying for several years and feared for his safety if he spoke about the fight.
“There’ll be reprisals from other kids in the school and he still has to go to school somewhere,” he said. “He’s not a violent kid, it’s the first time he’s lashed out and I don’t want him to be victimised over that.”
Students said violence was a daily occurrence with fights often filmed and posted online.
“The fights I have seen here, it’s horrible. It really makes me feel unsafe,” one said. A classmate added: “People pick on him every single day, they hit him around and stuff, and he just got sick of it and let out the anger.”
Casey the Punisher declares war on bullies. This is no time for loafers! Can we do any less?
Bully’s angry mum wants victim to apologise [The Daily Telegraph]
Bully power-slammed into concrete by fed-up victim [Off the Bench]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found