Displaying the wit that got them into the Ivy League, Princeton & Harvard students combine for “Yale Sucks!” chant
Mar 13, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
The Ivy League, being the anachronistic last bastion of silly ideas (really, student-athletes?) that it is, is the only league in Division 1 Basketball not to hold a post-season tournament. Except in the event that two teams finish the regular season conference tilt with identical records– as Harvard and Princeton did this year, forcing a one-game neutral site play-off for the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. The game’s location? Yale, of course, completing a rather blue-blooded triumvirate of higher education. Anyone who scored less than a 1500 on their SATs gets checked at the door.
With tensions running extremely high as Princeton’s Tigers chased their first NCAA berth since 2004 and the Crimson of Harvard looking for their first bid since 1946, the longest running streak of futility in D-I ball, the animated student sections of both teams’ fans found some common ground to be friends on before tip-off. The subject of their ire? Just those dumb bastards at Yale letting them play on their court, that’s all. From the AP recap of the game (which Princeton ended up winning on a 15-ft jumpshot at the buzzer):
The league played the game on Yale’s campus, about 130 miles from each school.
Before the game, Harvard and Princeton students joined in chanting “Yale sucks!”
That’s awesome; it’s just that kind of creativity and teamwork that these bright minds of our shared future will need in leading us to a more prosperous tomorrow. In the end, Princeton lands their 24th tournament appearance, Tommy Amaker’s Harvard squad will spend yet another year in search of the promised land, and Yale is the butt of the joke, which hasn’t happened since Bush the First left the oval office.
All is right once more in the Ivy League.
Princeton beats Harvard at buzzer in Ivy playoff [Associated Press]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires