Mar 11, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
Begun, the Packer-Barkley War has. On Thursday during halftime of the Heat-Lakers game on TNT, Charles Barkley threw brickbats at analyst Billy Packer for the latter’s criticism of the new NCAA basketball tournament contract, telling Packer to “stop being a jackass.” Today, Packer responded during an interview on 790 The Zone in Atlanta (audio here):
“I have a lot of enjoyment about Charles and I really admire what he did as a professional athlete, get himself in shape, become the great player that he did. But if Charles Barkley wants to get in a room and debate intercollegiate athletics and college basketball, I would have no problem being in a room with him. As a matter of fact, I don’t believe it would be much of a contest and I wouldn’t have to call him any names.”
Then, on Sports Radio 610 in Houston, Packer continued the onslaught.
“I’ve probably forgotten more about college basketball and intercollegiate athletes than Charles Barkley ever knew existed,” said Packer.
Considering Packer’s age, I wouldn’t admit to that one.
Barkley’s original comments:
Boys, boys … isn’t there enough trouble in the world? Hug it out, let’s go.
By the way, the only way I’d be interested in Billy Packer and Charles Barkley in a room together is if they were taking turns beating The Situation with a circus mallet.
Billy Packer Challenges Charles Barkley to a Debate on College Athletics [Sports Radio Interviews]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights