Mar 10, 2011, 6:39 PM EDT
It was so cute in October of 2010 when a Hollywood, Fla. bar offered to pay the bar tab of anyone in the house any time the Miami Heat lost a game. Even though there was a $25 limit per customer, Whiskey Tango was out about $30,000 by late November.
Then we all kind of forgot about it. Fans of tasty booze in the Hollywood area didn’t forget, however. CNBC revisited Whiskey Tango’s books and discovered that, thanks to the Heat’s recent suckitude, the bar has refunded approximately $85,000 this season.
John Todora doesn’t think the Miami Heat’s recent losing skid is funny. The co-owner of the bar Whiskey Tango in Hollywood, Fla., told CNBC he has now lost $85,000 in bar bills thanks to the team’s losses this season.
“I need to get in touch with LeBron and ask him for a bailout,” Todora said on Wednesday, still recovering from the Heat’s sixth loss in seven games the night before.
Even though Todora doesn’t have insurance for his promotion, he has installed a couple of rules to help make sure he doesn’t go broke. Patrons have to sign up 30 minutes before the game in order to be eligible for the refund. Also, they must stay until the end of the game.
That usually results in a packed house, so he can’t be doing that badly.
Have the Heat heard about Todora’s promotion? Yes, they have. And the team has responded with a tender, heartwarming cease-and-desist letter.
“It was friendly,” Todora said. “They just wanted us to stop using their name and logo on marketing materials.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found