Feb 24, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
The first gay fan club for Poland’s national soccer team is calling for separate seating at the upcoming European Championships to be held in Poland and the Ukraine next year. Teczowa Trybuna 2012, or Rainbow Stand 2012, says that the special seating is needed to avoid possible violence and discrimination against them from other “traditionally heterosexual” soccer fans.
“Unfortunately, during trips to matches in Poland, we often encountered unpleasantness, harassment and violence from the ‘real’ fans,” reads a statement on their website.
The organization has asked all Euro 2012 organizers, including the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and the coach and players of the Polish national team, to support their initiative to create separate sections in all venues for gay fans.
But other gay rights activists criticized the proposal today, saying separate seating would only single gay fans out and put them at even greater risk.
One match venue, the city of Gdansk, rejected the group’s call — saying it would only further stigmatize gays.
Warsaw, Poland elected its first openly gay city official in Nov., when Krystian Legierski was elected to the Warsaw City Council from the city’s Mokotow district. The country, however, is still lagging behind in gay and lesbian rights, says one advocacy group. According to Campaign Against Homophobia, 17 percent of the Polish gay and lesbian community has experienced physical violence, while 50 percent were “followed, insulted or blackmailed because of their sexual orientation.” About 80 percent of crimes motivated by homophobia go unreported in Poland, it says.
I’m not sure what advantage gay soccer fans are going to have with separate seating. Why present a clear target to a fan base that’s capable of this?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Orb has a great chance to win the Preakness
- Play Video: Best putt ever?
- Play Video: Can Orb defy odds by winning Preakness?
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: NBC Sports Live Extra tutorial