Belinda Heggen explains her ‘tiny manhood’ putdown of Mark Aiston

Feb 17, 2011, 10:17 AM EDT

belindaheggen

It’s the viral video du jour that they’re all talking about; the Adelaide, Aus., TV news anchor who leveled a sports reporter with a ‘tiny penis’ joke during a live broadcast. (Video following the jump). Belinda Heggen appeared on Nova 919, an Australian radio show, this morning to explain what happened. Do the two have a romantic history? What was the station’s reaction? Is Aiston mad?

Heggen:

“I’ve already had questions from Melbourne’s Herald-Sun asking if Mark and I have ever had history. To which I promptly said ‘No, never.’ … I just need to give you some background on Mark Aiston. Those is Adelaide who know Mark Aiston know that he’s a practical joker, and a prankster, and he’s always cracking jokes and trying to catch us out. So I’ve always had in my mind a desire to try and catch him, um, and on air no less. But, um, he just stepped right open into that, don’t you think? He just served it up, and I didn’t even have to think, I just lobbed it back. And it was only afterward that we crossed to the weather and went to a commercial break, we just lost it. We were in hysterics there on the news desk. I had no idea it would get this big.”

Sadly, YouTube has taken down the video of the exchange. Hopefully this one works:

“Belinda, I just can’t understand how something so small can be so impressive,” Aiston says, to which Heggen replies: “Well Mark, you would know about that.”

Is the station going to reprimand her? Heggen:

“I must admit, one of my thoughts was on no, am I going to get fired? But I’m assured that for the time being, my job is safe.

“I’m just concerned with what he’s going to come back with now. I’m on the edge of it now.”

Audio here.

As for News 10′s official response:

A Ten spokeswoman said: “It was all just a bit of fun and it’s not something she is regretting either. Mark doesn’t have a problem with it.”

Heggen is the married mother of two boys, the latest one born in 2009. After previously hosting the financial news at the station, she was just recently promoted to the news desk. I guess she was due for some fun. He, with all of its troubles recently, Australia needed a laugh.

***
Saucy television chat takes off [News.com.au]
Belinda Heggen explains her dig at Mark Aiston [NovaFM]

1. cur68 - Feb 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM

He tossed her a soft one and she SMASHED it back. Best on air put down EVER. If he’s been dishing it, like she says, then he’s gotta be able to take it like a man. Just goes to show, because the lady is so damn cute doesn’t mean she’s a dunce or that she’s not quick witted. I love smart girls. Belinda Heggen marry me! My urn is famous for its size (a whole BLAST FURNACE of ashes, and no mistake).

2. evanpenn - Feb 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I’ve never seen Belinda Heggen before, but after watching this clip I instantly love her! Too funny.

3. purple815 - Feb 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM

This article mentioned it misses a youtube video link. Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Bc7eRTdWY&feature=topvideos

4. bustybeth - Feb 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM

that was funny!!! http://www.saucydate.net

5. blancaster60 - Feb 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Belinda Heggen really had a lot of people fooled – hilarious! Now it will be interesting to see if she can take it as good as she can dish it out. So if down the road Mark gets some kind of unintentional “soft lob” from Brenda and he uses it to say something that is an inuendo for her being flat chested, having saggy boobs, or a compliment on her”manly” moustache, will she – and viewers – find it just as hilarious? If yes, then great! Just as long as gender makes no difference when these kind of playful put downs are made I’m all for them.

So Mark, good luck planning your “revenge.” Your reputation as a master trickster/practical joker is on the line. Be sure and choose an on camera moment when your co-anchor is least expecting it and boom! Oh, Belinda, I definitely wouldn’t want to be in your shoes right now!

6. rjhiggins - Feb 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM

“…I had no idea it would get this big.

That’s what she said.