Alex Rodriguez ‘went ballistic’ over Super Bowl popcorn clip

Feb 8, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT

popcornmoment

According to Bill Zwecker at the Chicago Sun-Times, Alex Rodriguez was so upset at the Super Bowl shot of him being fed popcorn by girlfriend Cameron Diaz that he made Fox promise to keep the cameras off of him for the rest of the game. Zwecker:

“He really went ballistic — thinking the cameraman was out to get them in a paparazzi-like shot. … That’s so crazy,” said my source. “Anyone who knows anything about producing a live sports event — especially something as huge as the Super Bowl — would know that those celebrity shots are purely random.

“A-Rod, of all people, should know that.”

Making millions, dating a starlet and enjoying luxury seating at the Super Bowl? Sorry those four seconds ruined your life, A-Rod.

***
A-Rod turns camera shy [Chicago Sun-Times]

1. nesuperfan - Feb 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM

If true, what a baby.

2. bobsblitz - Feb 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Don’t buy it. It appeared canned to begin with.

3. elvoid - Feb 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

What an A-hole (pun intended).

1. If Cameron Diaz was feeding me popcorn at the Superbowl, I’d want it taped and delivered everywhere!

2. They do “crowd shots” at sporting events all the time, and people are sometimes caught in odd moments – a celebrity should expect no better – at the game, you’re just a fan, albeit with better seats. You want privacy? Watch the game at home, genius.

4. psousa1 - Feb 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM

What is to stop a random sportswriter or blogger from throwing out there: ‘Arod went ballistic……..” Like who told him? How the hell would he know? I’m starting to think 95% of these writers have no more insight or access than the everyday people reading this stuff

5. redsoxnation2011 - Feb 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM

What a prima donna cry baby! GROW A PAIR & GROW UP.
    When we saw him the crowd at our house erupted with boos &
    compliments…… OK OK, boos & catcalls yes, nice things about him
    no way…

6. agelardi - Feb 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM

What a douche. Apparently he doesn’t know the law, that public figures are fair game for the cameras. And if the Fox network agreed to his demands, that makes them even more of a douche network than they already are.

7. uyf1950 - Feb 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Zwecker, shame on you. Your piece is nothing but rumor and speculation.
    Unless he was there I seriously doubt Zwecker has any first hand knowledge of what was or wasn’t said. Why would the camera man or Fox or anyone else for that matter tell Zwecker anything. This sounds like something that was whispered down the line and by the time Zwecker finally got to hear it, it is nothing like what it started out being.

• medtxpack - Feb 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM

i agree

• SRose - Feb 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Thank you. Finally someone is the voice of reason instead of automatically assuming that A Rod did this.

Bravo.

8. maf97 - Feb 8, 2011 at 3:51 PM

If this is true, A-Rod is an absolute tool. If he doesn’t want to be on camera — either targeted or in a rondom shot — he should stay home. You don’t sit in an open view luxury box with your starlet (used loosely) and then demand privacy. What an @$$.

9. akismet-fc6c623ca6fbb7a8389abb5c30a203c1 - Feb 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Here’s a tip, Hey A-Rod (now I realize what the A stands for). Stay in the house like maf97 said or go back to dating ugly, unkown chicks. I’m ashamed I ever wasted time on this.

10. SRose - Feb 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Hey maf97 and akismet-fc6c623ca6fbb7a8389abb5c30a203c1:

You both should really learn to spell before you comment on blogs.

• RLDeWitte - Feb 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Sorry, too much popcorn butter on my fingers, miss that extra “n” all the time.

11. rockybuddy - Feb 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Poor spoiled A-Rod and his girlfriend. What he’s really angry about is that now all his other girls know where he was on Sun. Too bad – get over it and get back to having her feed you – you pampered puss!

12. goforthanddie - Feb 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I think everyone’s figured out ARoid is a total douchenozzle. Please do two things for me:
    1-Continue to do things that irritate him;
    2-Quit reporting about him.

13. bill1968 - Feb 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I really don’t care if Alex was upset….and you can tell him I said so!!!

14. startedin67 - Feb 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Maybe the footage should have been centaured so as not to offend…

15. huddyk - Feb 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM

If someone has that shot of me with Cameron before I canned her…please send it to A-Rod. He will really go ballistic when he sees my missle.

16. adubman - Feb 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM

He’s a poser…looking up at himself while she’s feeding him…shesh!! Me thinks “Mr. April” is too into himself. Heard Charley Sheen is looking to pal around.

17. dkhhuey - Feb 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

GOD I would love to be a teammate of his right now!!! There would be popcorn and Diaz pictures all over his locker, car, plane seat, house all the time!