Feb 7, 2011, 3:23 PM EST
First he giggled at William Gay’s last name (that needs to be said at the outset, to give you an idea of what we’re dealing with), but then Glenn Beck had a bone to pick with what happened during the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. No, it had nothing to do with Christina Aguilera fumbling the lyrics (Random fan: “Hey, I thought we were supposed to proudly hail at some point …”). Glenn complained on his radio show today that several of the players apparently did not place their hands over the hearts during the Anthem. It seems that Beck monitors these things. From the Huffington Post:
“Was anybody else offended by…can you put your hand on your heart?” Beck said. “It’s the national anthem!” He said he had shushed his son and told him to put his hand on his heart when Christina Aguilera was singing the song.
“I was really offended by the sports players that were just hanging on their jersey,” Beck said. “The country that gives them the ability to…pursue their happiness in peace and safety is not worth putting your hand on the heart.”
Just a guess, but I’d wager that Glenn does a lot of “shushing” in his household.
And here’s a note to Beck and other media bullies who think that they occupy the patriotic high ground because they’ve memorized the requisite body gestures. How about complaining about the real disrespect to our nation, such as supporting a Bush administration that gets us into illegal wars, advocates torture, ignores wounded veterans and fires U.S. Attorneys for purely political reasons?
Hey Glenn, see if you can guess which hand gesture I’m giving now?
Glen Beck rips Super Bowl players for conduct during the National Anthem [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found