Jan 31, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
The big gay Super Bowl concert planned for the Cotton Bowl on Thursday night has been canceled due to poor ticket sales, according to Ariana Hajibashi, publicist for the now-two-night XLV Party. Hajibashi said only 13 tickets had been sold for Thursday night’s concert featuring Lady Bunny, the Village People and Cazwell, which was marketed specifically to the LGBT community.
“Our Friday and Saturday are packed, but Thursday didn’t sell anything,” Hajibashi said. “I understand that everybody in Dallas is a last-minute ticket buyer, but unfortunately with only 13 tickets sold four days out, we couldn’t invest an additional $100,000 dollars. We couldn’t have a 6,000-square-foot space with 100 people in it. It kind of makes us sad because we were really trying to do an event for the GLBT community. Everybody else is focused on the sports angle and things like that, so we’re disappointed that we didn’t get any attention.” [Dallas Voice]
- Fran Tarkenton on the future fallout of Jay Cutler leaving the NFC Championship Game with an injury. “Oh, [Bears fans] will [boo him]. This is the worst thing that could’ve happened to him. He will not overcome it. The Bears are in a pickle. Everybody needs a quarterback; they need a quarterback who can play. They don’t want to lose him, but his teammates will look at him differently, that’s just the way it is. … This is going to be a very difficult thing for him to overcome. It’ll stay with him forever.” [Sports Radio Interviews]
- 28 Days of Super Bowl Recipes: Blue Cheese Pierogies with Buffalo Sauce. Over the summer, Bryan and I had a chance to take a couple of weeks off to take a road trip across the country. See some friends and family, go to a ballgame, stop by Steelers training camp in Latrobe, have some sweet tea in Tennessee. Obviously having a lot of time in the car, … [Sarah Sprague]
- Lame: Greene County In Pennsylvania Changing Name To ‘Black & Gold’ County. At their agenda meeting on Wednesday, Greene County (PA) commissioners will introduce a resolution that if passed, will change the county’s name to “Black & Gold” County for Super Bowl week. Gotta Support The Team: Regional Government Style. [Sportress of Blogitude]
- Nice ad placement. [Twitpic]
- Recruit: ‘I just let Saban, Spurrier go to voicemail’. Bruce Feldman of ESPN THE MAGAZINE has my highlight of this year’s interminable recruiting season, from the nation’s #1 prospect, South Carolina high school defensive end Jadeveon Clowney … [SportsbyBrooks]
We need your blogdome items. Please, give generously. Rickchand@gmail.com.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found