Jan 31, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
A brazen attack on beloved minor league hockey mascot Pucky the Whale has sent shock waves through Connecticut, as Kevin O’Connell, 28, of East Hartford, was arrested by police during a Connecticut Whalers game on Saturday. O’Connell reportedly was upset over a bet he had made with a friend during the game, and attacked Pucky, said police. O’Connell tackled and then punched Pucky, severely disrupting Connecticut Family Whale Day.
As the hockey team’s mascot was greeting fans, O’Connell, attacked, police said.
Immediately, dozens of upset parents reacted. They helped Hartford Police Officer John Zweibelson and the XL Center staff find O’Connell, who police said, was hiding in section 206.
If there’s one thing lower than a person who attacks a mascot whale, it’s one who runs and hides afterward.
O’Connell told police he tackled “Pucky” over a bet with a friend.
O’Connell was charged with one count of second-degree breach of peace and will appear in court on Feb. 2 — Groundhog Day.
Man tackles Pucky the Whale: Cops [NBC Connecticut]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games