Darryl Strawberry to run to the top of the Empire State Building of his own free will, which is nuts
Jan 27, 2011, 7:08 PM EDT
The metaphor is clear: Darryl Strawberry, who needed several missteps to fall from grace, will run to the top of the Empire State Building for charity. Of course it’s difficult for me to place the words “run” and “top of the Empire State Building” in the same sentence, when I can only picture myself crawling up the last few flights, gasping for air and feverishly swatting at imaginary biplanes.
But Strawberry will “race up 1,576 steps and 86 floors to the Observatory on Tuesday with about 100 other participants as part of the Empire State Building Run-Up,” according to the Associated Press. It’s all to raise money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation.
Strawberry, who has been arrested numerous times for drug, child support and alcohol-related crimes, has lived through colon cancer and recently authored a book about his life, last appeared in court in 2005 in a divorce proceeding. He currently lives with his third wife, Tracy, whom he met in rehab, and is an analyst for SNY.
Strawberry to run to top of Empire State Building [NBCSports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found