Jan 26, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
The Super Bowl promises to be a hair-raising matchup between two former USC Trojans, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews. Polamalu’s hair is sponsored and insured for $1 million by Head & Shoulders. And now Matthews firing back, signing a deal with Unilever’s Suave brand.
Matthews’ marketing agent Ryan Williams of Athletes First told CNBC that it’s a one-year deal that includes media appearances pre- and post Super Bowl and a production day should the company want to film a commercial or additional advertising with him. Terms were not disclosed. [SportsBiz]
- Which NFL jerseys are women buying? With more than 40 percent of NFL fans being female, jerseys tailored for women have become popular in recent years. So it’s interesting to see what jerseys men buy that women don’t and vice versa. Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who is reportedly dating Gossip Girl star Jessica Szohr, is fourth on the women’s jersey list one spot ahead of Tom Brady. He ranks seventh on the list of regular jerseys. … [Lewp's Weblog]
- For first time ever, two top-10 teams tangle in Mountain West. San Diego State coach Steve Fisher on tonight’s game with BYU: “People around here are saying that it’s the biggest game in the history of San Diego State basketball. And then they qualify it, for sure the biggest game, non-tournament game. … I do believe that this is going to be the biggest, most highly talked about and watched game on Wednesday night. We’re 1-10 in my 11 years taking a team there, so we know the challenge, but we are excited.” [Sports Radio Interviews]
- T.O. And Michael Strahan Were Killing Jay Cutler Before Sunday. You can put T.O. and Michael Strahan among those who don’t think much of Jay Cutler’s skills. Check this video from last week’s episode of the T.Ocho show. They wasted no words slaughtering him (which is stunning). [Deuce of Davenport]
‘Housewives’ Star — Big Trouble for Lil’ League Beer. Savant was recently suspended by his kid’s L.A. little league — after a concerned parent noticed the actor secretly downing a brew out of a paper cup while in the stands. We’re told the parent in question confronted Doug — calling him out for violating park rules — and the poor guy had to face the Board of Directors soon after the incident. [TMZ]
Step 1: Send blog item to blogdome. Step 2: Fame and fortune! Rickchand@gmail.com.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found