Jan 26, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Meanwhile, elsewhere in Fort Worth, North Side High School has some ‘splainin’ to do. North Side’s mariachi band was one of the best of its kind in the state, presumably because no other school even bothered to think successful mariachi band-ing could be considered a competition. So they fired up a pep rally in their honor.
There was still one problem, however. How are you supposed to cheer on a mariachi band? This was all figured out when one intrepid North Side student thought, “How would a mariachi band celebrate an awesome performance? AHA! By throwing live fish and chicks in the air! Order ‘em up!”
Now they can’t do assemblies anymore. From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
Live fish and baby chicks were tossed during a pep rally at North Side High School last week, leading administrators to suspend off-campus lunch privileges for seniors for two days and cancel future school assemblies. The school was celebrating its mariachi group advancing to state and the beginning of soccer and baseball seasons. During the last few minutes, someone tossed five bags containing small fish and five baby chicks, said school district spokesman Clint Bond. Three of the fish died, and one of the baby chicks was found dead in the auditorium the next day, Bond said. Superintendent Melody Johnson does not consider the incident a prank “but rather cruelty to animals. And we won’t tolerate cruelty to animals,” Bond said. Officials were still working to identify the students involved, he said.
The worst part of it all? School officials have suspended seniors from their off campus eating privileges for two days because of the incident. The same students who mercilessly tossed live fish and chicks in the air to be killed for the sake of a great mariachi band are now supposed to peacefully coexist with freshmen for two lunch periods?! I see more death on the horizon.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona