Jan 24, 2011, 2:13 PM EDT
If you’re a Green Bay Packers fan who loves celebrating your team’s Super Bowl berth in an environment where you’ll get the snot removed from your body through bodily harm, boy do I have a city for you! On Sunday, apparently, Chicago treated their Wisconsin visitors to a large helping of insults and violence worthy of a Philadelphian after the Packers’ 21-14 NFC Championship victory over the Bears.
Can’t we all just agree to make fun of Todd Collins’s miserable attempt at passing himself off as a quarterback and call it a day?! CBS Chicago:
Punches were thrown and faces were bloodied at Soldier Field as the Bears went on to lose to the Packers 21-14. Outside the stadium after the game, Packers fans were basking in the glory of victory. Some Bears fans didn’t particularly like that. Some of the hostility was fairly innocent, like a sign reading, “lactose intolerant,” with someone in a cheesehead hat circled and crossed out.
But some of the vitriol crossed the line to violence. “Bam! Right in the face! Bam! Right in the face!” Mel North said. She was talking about a man in her group who was sporting a slashed nose, courtesy of a Bears fan. “I have to say that being a Packer fan, I wasn’t treated that well. I took a lot of abuse. I was called a lot of obscene things,” a Packers fan said.
There were threats, too!
Meanwhile, Chicagoan Pete Finger still had the guts to wear an obvious sign of Packers loyalty around town. He wore a cheesehead with the words, “Battle of the Century” stenciled on it, and what looked like a boxing ring made of green pipe cleaners on top.
“One guy said he was going to push me down the stairs, and I think he meant it,” Finger said.
It was cold out. Maybe Finger was looking a little frigid and a considerate Bears fan was trying to stave off his hypothermia by spiking his adrenaline levels with a quick trip down a flight of stairs, am I wrong?
Bears, Packers Fans Exchange Barbs, Blows [CBS Chicago]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Blue Jays-Yankees finale scrubbed by rain
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Captain Callahan answers for Rangers
- Play Video: Chudzinski: 'Too early' to name a QB