Jan 17, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
The Chicago Bears have a simple philosophy when it comes to pregame festivities. If you’re going to sing the National Anthem, sing that sucker. Former opera singer Jim Cornelison is somewhat of a legend with the Chicago Blackhawks, but he was relatively unknown to the rest of the nation at large, until Sunday (video below). After belting out a rendition of the Anthem worthy of Pavarotti (RIP), the Bears went out belted the Seahawks to get to the NFC Championship Game.
Kate Smith, wherever she is, approves.
Cornelison was a professional opera singer until giving it up due to the extensive travel schedule. He now works in real estate in the Chicago area, and began singing the Anthem at Blackhawks games in 1995. I have a feeling he’ll be back next week.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while building Ohio Stadium out of a million Legos …
- The Jets’ Bart Scott has a few choice words for the “non-believers.”
- Family of 10-year-old disabled boy will relocate to follow their son’s favorite hockey players.
- Artist creates a dinner table for Michael Jordan with a hole in it for every point Jordan scored in his NBA career.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
The turtles try to talk some sense into Cherry, but as usual, no dice.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found