Jan 10, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT
A lone scientist manning a seismic network station notices the needle acting erratically, and decides to call it in. The beginning of a bad disaster movie, or just another Seahawks game? You be the judge: The Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, which locates earthquakes in Washington and Oregon, recorded a small tremor in downtown Seattle at 4:43 p.m. on Saturday afternoon … the exact time that Marshawn Lynch scored his tackle-busting touchdown against the Saints.
By the time his 67-yard, eight tackle breaking scamper in Saturday’s playoff game against the New Orleans Saints was over, the 12th man was rocking. And apparently so was the earth below the stadium.
The Pacific Northwest Seismic Network recorded a small tremor at exactly 4:43 p.m. Saturday afternoon from an old monitoring system near where the Kingdome used to stand.
And while Qwest Field is famous nationwide for it’s crowd noise, PNSN scientists think their readings show that was the first recorded 12th man tremor, ever.
After all, the “quake” was recorded only at that single SoDo station.
While we don’t have the actual crowd noise, we do have a video of Lynch’s run with Temco Bowl sound effects. Enjoy.
Just coincidence that Lynch’s run happened during a mild earthquake, or did the 12th man actually cause seismic activity? And with that type of power over Mother Nature, why couldn’t Seattle keep the Sonics?
OK wait, here’s the crowd noise during Lynch’s run:
Seahawks 12th Man Creates Measurable Seismic Tremor? [Q13Fox]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M